Sometimes serious interior design is just kid’s play. NC 4-H invites you (or your design team) to design and create the freshest eco-friendly room ever! If you’ve ever wanted to design your own space, test your design skills, re-purpose old stuff, find the hidden potential in someone else’s junk, or simply create a cool space of your own, and you’re “built” for a challenge or have an eye for “design” this challenge is for you!
Who Can Participate: Any individual youth or a team of youth (teams shall consist of 2 to 5 youth members), ages 9-18, is eligible to participate. *Each individual &/or team is required to have an adult coach to support their efforts & assist with construction if the design is selected to be built during NC 4-H Congress.
What’s the Plan: Each individual youth &/or team is eligible to submit no more than 2 room designs.
Room Designs to select from include:
– Youth bedroom, Youth study/office, Multi-purpose space, Dorm room, Game/Play Room
– Design rooms are 8’x8’ square (see mock design layout specifics).
– Each design must include at least 25% recycled, refurbished, repurposed &/or environmentally friendly materials.
– Each design must incorporate the common design element – a desk chair.
– Designer’s who move onto the “Challenge” phase will have a desk chair given to them to use in their actual rooms (see Chair details).
– Design concepts must be “doable” within a $100 cash budget & a $500 donated (gifted or borrowed) budget. In other words: Could you “really” design/build that room on a $100 cash budget & a maximum of $500’s worth of donated or borrowed items?
When is the Plan Due: Room designs must be received in the state 4-H office no later than 4:30 p.m. on June 3, 2010 (this is not a postmark deadline).
Now 4 the real CHALLENGE: Once all the room designs are turned in, a panel of expert judges (*Including Edward Walker from TLC’s hit show Trading Spaces) will select the top 3 to 5 room designs. These individuals / teams will be invited to participate in the 1st 4-H Eco-Works Challenge during NC 4-H Congress. Challenge room winners will be notified by June 11, 2010, which will give designers & teams 5 weeks to plan their awesome rooms.
For more information, visit: http://brunswick.ces.ncsu.edu/files/library/10/eco%20works%20challenge%20.pdf